2020/2021 Director of Academics/Principal
Cypress Junction Montessori (CJM) is seeking a committed individual who wants to make a difference in the lives of young children, their families and the entire Winter Haven community. CJM is a non-profit school for children aged three to 8th grade with extended care programs. CJM is located in Winter Haven in Central Florida, 5 minutes from LEGOLAND and 45 minutes from Disney. Please visit our website at www.cypressjunction.org for more information.
CJM’s Director of Academics (DOA) will have a profound impact on the development, management, and ultimate success of the school in a critical early year of the school. Reporting to the school’s Executive Director (ED), this is a full-time leadership position.
The DOA of Cypress Junction Montessori must be a dynamic and competent leader. She/he will provide leadership for and management of programs and processes related to instruction, personnel management, student support services and student activities. The DOA will implement and uphold the school’s mission and guiding principles and maintain professionalism in the following areas: curriculum, personnel, enrollment, program and service support, organization, planning and analysis, fiscal management, and relationships with the Board of Directors and community.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Leading teachers and staff in passionately following the authentic method created by Dr. Maria Montessori in order to provide a genuine, quality Montessori Education to every student.
- Demonstrating the strong and focused work ethic necessary to start-up and maintain a successful Montessori school. This includes the ability to work 40-50 hours a week on campus during the school year.
- Planning the school calendar and carrying out programs and services.
- Overseeing the assessment and evaluation of student progress and assisting teachers in developing standards for student achievement.
- Analyzing student assessments, verifying Montessori curriculum is being effectively implemented, and maintaining data-informed instruction.
- Maintaining responsibility for the safety and discipline of teachers, staff and students.
- Recruiting, retaining, and developing an effective and diverse faculty and staff; focusing on evidence research, and classroom realities faced by teachers.
- Facilitating effective professional development and working with each teachers and staff to ensure they are completing their Montessori certification within two years of hire and carrying out their training in their classrooms.
- Actively participating in the Parent Involvement Group to build relationships with CJM families and ensure open communication.
- Serving as an envoy for Montessori education to the Winter Haven community.
- Supporting the ED as he/she executes his/her responsibilities.
- A strong working knowledge of and belief in the Montessori Method and a dedication to achieve a full certification within 2 years from AMI (Association Montessori Internationale), AMS (American Montessori Society), Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education, or other widely recognized Montessori program.
- Dedication to attend a Montessori Leadership Program within 2 years of achieving the above certification.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A Florida professional or temporary teaching certificate or a willingness and ability to obtain it prior to starting work.
- 3 years supervisory or administrative experience in a school or business.
- Certification from AMI (Association Montessori Internationale), AMS (American Montessori Society), Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education, or other widely recognized Montessori program.
- Certification from a Montessori Leadership Program
- Supervisory and administrative experience in a Montessori or other educational setting.
- 2 years teaching experience working with children on a professional or volunteer basis.
- 1 year experience working in a leadership role at a school.
- 8 years of successful supervisory and administrative experience.
- A master’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university, preferably in the field of Education.
- Experience working at a public charter school during the start-up phase.
Salary competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits are included.
Cypress Junction Montessori does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or other basis prohibited by law.
Qualified applicants should email a current resume, educational philosophy/personal statement (in lieu of a cover letter), and three references to: email@example.com