Physical Education (PE) Teacher/Coach – Job Description
Cypress Junction Montessori (CJM) is seeking a highly qualified PE coach. CJM is a charter school for children aged three through middle school (8th grade). Located in downtown Winter Haven in Central Florida, CJM is a small community school just 5 minutes from Legoland and 45 minutes from Disney. Please visit our website at www.cypressjunction.org for more information.
Our PE teacher will coach and guide children Kindergarten through 8th grade on both our PE field and playground. CJM’s teaching team will interact in close and integrative manners, making interpersonal skills critical. In addition, CJM expects excellence in the following areas:
- Collaboration — CJM staff must collaborate and act as the model for appropriate and peaceful interaction. Teachers collaborate with students, other staff, volunteers, parents, the Executive Director and the Principal of the school. They encourage student and community collaboration.
- Climate and Culture — The coach creates an environment that encourages student enthusiasm and assists in the development of good habits. They capitalizes instructionally on spontaneous incidents in the classroom or beyond. They engage the students in quality discourse that allows for student examination of a variety of subjects, including tangential topics, without straying from the learning process. They always react constructively to student feelings and attitudes.
- Classroom Management — The PE coach develops appropriate boundaries and integrated his or her personal philosophy within the philosophy of the school as a community. The coach is vigilant in protecting students, equipment, facilities and the sanctity of the campus space. Additionally, the coach acts positively, pleasantly and optimistically in order to model similar behaviors for his or her students.
- Professional Growth — The coach continues professional development through workshops, conferences, seminars and/or advanced coursework in education or a subject area.
The PE Teacher is responsible for:
- Preparing the Environment – Keeping the PE field and playground neat, attractive, and orderly
- Leading physical education for kindergarten through 8th grade.
- Keeping equipment complete and in good condition
- Ensuring the children show an understanding of the expectations for behavior
- Modeling grace and courtesy in interactions with children, staff and parents
- Presenting PE and sports concepts clearly and effectively
- Working effectively with all age children
- Demonstrating lessons of grace and courtesy, taking responsibility, being self-disciplined and independent
- Monitoring and recording student progress
- Developing lesson plans and presentations based on observations of students
- A broad base of knowledge from which to guide students
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A Florida professional or temporary teaching certificate, or the ability and background to obtain one prior to the beginning of the school year
- Prior PE, fitness or coaching or other experience working with children on a professional or volunteer basis
- Experience working at a public charter school during the start-up phase
CJM currently follows the Polk County School Board salary schedule and can be furnished on request. Benefits are included.
Cypress Junction Montessori does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or other basis prohibited by law.
Qualified applicants should email a current resume (including a listing of current teaching certifications or endorsements), educational philosophy/personal statement (in lieu of a cover letter), and three references to: email@example.com