Montessori Assistant Guide – Job Description
Cypress Junction Montessori (CJM) is seeking highly qualified Montessori Assistant Guides with a passion to bring Montessori curriculum to the Winter Haven Community and a desire to develop personally and professionally. CJM is a charter school for children aged three through middle school. Located in downtown Winter Haven in Central Florida, CJM is a small community school just 5 minutes from Legoland and 45 minutes from Disney. Please visit our website at www.cypressjunction.org for more information.
Our assistant guides introduce the Montessori Method to many of our students and need to be flexible, aware and available in a manner different than traditional teachers. Our assistant guides are observers and facilitators who encourage students to explore outside the prescribed classroom confines. CJM’s teaching team interacts in close and integrative manners, making interpersonal skills critical. In addition, CJM expects excellence in: Instructional Process, Collaboration, Classroom Climate and Culture, Student Assessment, Curriculum, Classroom Management, Professional Growth and Parent Interaction
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing the Montessori Environment and implementing the Montessori Philosophy
- Presenting Montessori Materials and Principles
- Observing Children
- Keeping the environment neat, attractive and orderly with materials organized and complete and furnishings in good condition
- Ensuring the children in the classroom show an understanding of the expectations for behavior and functioning in the classroom
- Modeling and demonstrating lessons of grace and courtesy, taking responsibility, being self-disciplined and independent
- Demonstrating an understanding of how to manage a Montessori Classroom using the Montessori Philosophy
- Presenting concepts clearly and effectively with all age children in the classroom
- Monitoring and recording student progress
- Developing lesson plans and presentations based on observations of students
Assistant Guide Minimum Qualifications:
- A broad base of knowledge from which to guide students
- Graduation from an accredited high school and sixty (60) or more credit hours or an Associate’s degree from an accredited college, or a passing score on the Para Pro exam required.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Certification from AMI (Association Montessori Internationale), AMS (American Montessori Society), Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education, or other widely recognized Montessori program
- Prior teaching or other experience working with children on a professional or volunteer basis
- Primary positions – Department of Children and Families (DCF) staff credential
Cypress Junction Montessori does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or other basis prohibited by law.
Qualified applicants should email a current resume, educational philosophy/personal statement (in lieu of a cover letter), and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org